Tuesday, February 03, 2004

 
Okay, I'm still bored, so here's a bit more. Consider this part 1 of the Richmond Bowen Randomly Organized Biography: A Portrait Of Richmond Right Now.

The basics: I'm 33 years old. I live in Richmond BC, a small polyp on the anus of Vancouver. I moved here from Seattle in 2002 for two reasons; to marry my girlfriend (which I did) and to go to film school and work in the film industry here in "Hollywood North."

Well, the school thing ended last summer. Since then, I've been pretty much idle, thanks to various issues with my Canadian Immigration status. Did you know it costs over fifteen hundred bucks just to APPLY for permanent residency? And now that I have that together, I can send out my application this week (today, if things go well), and wait ANOTHER six months or so for a response.

There was a time when I would have killed to be in the position I'm in. I literally can NOT work in Canada, which means my wife has to support me. I used to fantasize about that sort of thing, about all the writing I'd be able to get done. And yes, I've had an unprecedented (for me) streak of productivity with

You Are Here, but let's face it, at this point, that's nothing but a fanfic about when my life used to be interesting. It's not like someone's going to drop a big wodge of money for a nobody to shoot an unconventionally structured, 18-episode TV series full of foul language and underage shenanigans, plus the occasional dig at the right wing.

Well, they might, but I'd probably have to surrender my ringpiece in return.

No, what I should be doing is pumping my energy into a novel, a screenplay, some TV spec scripts, some comic spec scripts, something that I can fucking SELL. Here are some of the things I've started writing or made notes on:

OUTCASTS: The story of an Angel and a Demon exiled on earth.
SLEEPER AGENTS: Three people, hovering between life and death, who walk the earth as ghosts and protect the dying from parasitic creatures.
MERM: A young Merm gets separated from his people and traverses the vast ocean to get home, aided by a naive dolphin and a wise whale.

Plus various others that are still just in my head.

It occurs to me at this point that I'm still not sure who, if anyone, is reading this. If you've come across this page, and you're not me, welcome, and thank you for bearing with me. If you ARE me, get back to work.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?