Thursday, April 10, 2008

 
I want to talk to you about the worst thing that's happened to me in the last few days.

Let me tell you what it's not. It's not the laptop problem. I was working at the office last week, using both my office desktop, and my agency-issued laptop, when the laptop suddenly gave me the ol' blue screen of death. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME, it told me. Some Googling confirmed my worst fear: I would have to have Windows reinstalled. No rescuing for me, no sir, my files were wizziped.

That's not the worst thing that happened.

Nor is it the situation with my computer here at the office. At some point monday, it started rebooting. I'd be working along, computing my ass off, and suddenly, BEWZZZZP...sudden reboot. It would happen every three hours or so, and without the laptop to work on, I had to work carefully and save constantly.

After some discussion with MS's IT guy, guess what was decided? I had to reinstall Windows on this one too. Worse, my office computer runs *sigh* Vista. So I did that this morning, and hey, whaddaya know, there's a glitch, and I'm currently in the middle of the SECOND Vista installation today, so that I can get it working long enough to roll back to XP.

So you might think that having to install Vista twice in one day (or indeed at all) is the worst thing that happened to me this week. You'd still be wrong.

No, the worst thing that happened to me this week was yesterday, as I was in the men's room here at work. I do my business, I finish up, I put things back in their proper receptacle, and I go to zip up, not realizing that the flap on my gonch is fairly loose, and therefore the Li'l Chieftain is still exposed. And right in the path of the zipper.

Don't talk to me about childbirth. You women don't know pain like this.

Still, it helps to have something like this happen. When you have to go through three Windows installations in a week, there's nothing like getting your tallywhacker caught in your zipper to put it all in perspective.

Snuffy Smith, y'all.

UPDATE: The one plus side is that I finally was able to get XP back on my work machine.

Hey, you take your victories where you can get 'em.

Comments:
Awww...hail to the little Chieftain...and, vista is much worse pain than a taillwacker in a zipper
 
I knew about everything...except the last part. Ouch! Hmm, funny that you didn't share that with the vanpool. ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?